The fort is located at the mouth of the Kundalika River. It is easily accessible by road. The Alibag-Murud road passes through the fort. Earlier the fort was guarded on three sides by creek water. The main entrance is from the southern side. This fort was built by Portuguese Capt. Soj, and completed in 1524. It was in the control of the Portuguese till 1806 when it was captured by Marathas. Finally, it was captured by the British in 1818.